Obituary of Charles Raymond Judson died 26 Dec 1879. Dayton Daily Journal, Dayton, Ohio. Saturday Morning, December 27, 1879 Vol. XVII. NO. 130 Column Six. iPhone Digital Photograph of a Microfilm reader by Herstoryan, Houston, Texas. 2010
A few weeks back I posted A Moment to Remember: Charles and Nellie Judson- a story about the death of two siblings just days apart. Having died before county death records, I turned to newspaper research to try and piece together their story.
Here's what I did:
1. Googled Ohio State Archives
2. Landed on the Ohio Historical Society State Archives page
3. Clicked on the Newspaper Index link under the Digitization Projects section
4. Clicked on the Ohio Newspaper Index Search link under the Microfilm HOLDINGS List
5. Searched by County of Publication narrowing by date of death
6. BINGO! There it is: Roll 37403 Microfilm of the Dayton Journal, Dayton, Ohio from July1, 1879 to Dec 31, 1879.
7. Clicked on the Interlibrary Loan link (thinking "that's neat, never done that before")
8. Found out that my local library needed to place the request --> on to my local library's website
9. Filled in the online Interlibrary Loan Request Form
10. Went back to daily life....
11. SURPRISE! Got a call from my local genealogy department saying my microfilm had arrived! [Happy Dance!!!]
12. Relearned how to use a microfilm reader since most of my research over the past 10 years has been digital
13. Scrolled to the newspaper page dated around the time of death and held my breath...
14. Well, there it was - imagine that! I did it - NO index, NO digital search engine, just good ol' deductive reasoning.
Then reality sank in... wow, there is really something stirring about staring at the actual newspaper page that announced the death of a relative. This is real. This is personal.
I was able to read the other headlines on the page. These are the stories they read. This is the life they lead. For a moment I walked in their footsteps.
On column six it read,
Alas, the cause of death was not listed, but another gem lay buried there instead - the location of the family's home!DIED - JUDSON - Friday evening, December 26th, Charlie Raymond, son of Lewis and Ella Judson, aged 3 years, 4 months, and 7 days. Funeral from the residence, corner Brown and Hess, Sunday Dec 28th, at 2 p.m.
Do you see it? There on the corner, could that be the family home still standing??? My luck would put the house across the street where Oregon Park now stands. Hmmmm, now what do I do? How do I find out if Lewis and Helen "Ella" Judson lived in that house?
[To be continued...]
Oh, and I ordered a second microfilm that should contain Nellie's obituary. She died 10 days later on 05 Jan 1880. Maybe hers will have the cause of death listed?