My photo
We all have a story to tell. Some speak louder than others. Listen closely to hear the stories of our ancestors echoing under our footsteps. They are the authors. We are the keepers.

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Herstoryan's Hearth: Convenient Houses (1889)



Excerpt from: Gibson, Louis H.. Convenient Houses with Fifty Plans for the Housekeeper. New York: Thomas Y. Crowell & Co., 1889. pp13-14  Google Books. 22 Feb. 2010 .




It never ceases to amaze me how we just aren't that different from those who walked before us. Why does each generation insist on reinventing the wheel? Often we learn the same lessons over and over again. How very interesting...


6 comments:

  1. I would love to have an opportunity to visit your library--- you have such an array of interesting books. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see, I tell myself the same thing all the time. If I two bathrooms instead of one, I would have to clean two bathrooms instead of one. Makes perfect sense to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

    Also, congratulations on being named one of the 2010 Family Tree Magazine 40 Best Genealogy Blogs!

    Bill ;-)

    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVE old newspapers and what we find in them. I did a piece when we were traveling from 1999 to 2000, it was based on 1899 to 1900, the fears, the reality. What fun that was. I have to see if I still have that buried somewhere on my computer! LOL

    Congrats on the top 40!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting article -- and, as you say, so accurate 100 years later. It makes me wonder what my grandparents' homes looked like. I was just rereading some letters written to me by a great-aunt about her childhood home: 11 rooms! Well, there were 13 living children, but still. Eleven! Thanks for bringing this book to our attention. And if I didn't already say it, congratulations on being in the top 40! Very well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete